Producer For Newscasts And Public Affairs
Deadline to apply: Open until filled
Station: WLRN Public Media
Company: South Florida Public Media
FLSA Status: Full-Time Exempt
Reports to: News Director
Schedule: Full time: 10 a.m. till 7 p.m Monday through Friday, or as assigned
(1) Fill out the job application form here. Then, submit (2) a cover letter, (3) a resume or CV, (4) five work samples (links or mp3s) and (5) names and contact info for at least three professional references who have worked closely with you and can speak of your qualifications for the position.
(6) Email all the materials to email@example.com and include “Audio Producer” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The producer for newscasts and public affairs works closely with the afternoon news anchor, news director, editorial director, vice president of news, and the engagement and digital editors.
The producer oversees and assists in the planning and production of regularly scheduled newscasts, as well as The South Florida Roundup weekly public affairs program for WLRN radio and WLRN.org., including: writing copy, producing and editing radio and digital packages, social media, voice-overs and sound bites, field producing, story and source development and booking guests.
The person may also involve filing for other news outlets, including, but not limited to, NPR and the Miami Herald.
The WLRN newsroom is a collaborative, often flexible environment made up of people dedicated to practicing local and regional journalism with journalistic rigor, creativity and empathy. We come from a range of life experiences, have different expertise, talents and passions, and learn from each other every day.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
Produces newscasts and digital components, including social media management.
- Works with newscast anchor in identifying, developing, writing, editing and producing stories for newscasts under deadline pressure and serves as a secondary anchor.
- Conducts interviews and research for original newscast and digital content, and takes in feeds from news partners.
- Monitors social media for breaking news.
- Produces weekly public affairs programs, including on-air and digital components, booking guests, coordinating production and social media engagement.
- Maintains newscast archives, and learn filing technology and protocol.
- Works with WLRN news partners including but not limited to the Miami Herald and NPR.
- Fills-in for daily news anchor, editors, web editor, news reporters or other staff, as needed.
- Helps organize, attends and participates in public events and community outreach — when the pandemic is over.
- Participates in staff meetings and professional development opportunities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- At least 3 years professional experience.
- Proficiency operating digital recording equipment and digital audio editing programs.
- Excellent written communication skills and knowledge of AP style.
- Proficiency with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social platforms.
- Must be able to work independently, as well as collaboratively.
- Knowledge of South Florida news, issues and culture with strong research and communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to train/mentor/coach staff, freelancers and interns across platforms.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Multilingual (English/Spanish/Haitian Creole/Portuguese)
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays; ability to travel; must be able to perform the essential duties of the position.
About WLRN Public Media:
WLRN is an award-winning public radio and television station based in Miami and covering South Florida from the Palm Beaches to Key West. We are Florida’s largest public radio station.
WLRN News is a daily broadcast radio and multimedia news operation on 91.3 FM, 91.5 FM in the Florida Keys, 101.9 FM in Palm Beach County, WLRN.org, and social media. We produce daily news stories, long-form stories and public affairs programming with the goal of being South Florida’s most trusted news source.