Station: WLRN Public Media
Company:South Florida Public Media
FLSA Status: Full-time, exempt
Reports to:VP of News
Schedule: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. Monday - Friday or as job demands
Location: Miami, Florida
How to apply:
(1) Fill out the job application form here. Then, submit (2) a cover letter, (3) a resume or CV, (4) five work samples and (5) at least three references who have worked closely with you and can speak of your qualifications for the position.
Email all the materials to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Digital Director” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until until the position is filled.
This position is chief digital evangelist for the WLRN News department, grounded in the fundamentals and possibilities of journalism. This person will help create and lead a comprehensive mission-driven digital strategy for the enterprise, with journalism integrity at its center. This person will possess a vision of internal and external collaboration to experiment and innovate in service of existing, and in search of new audiences. The Digital Director will work with leaders in non-news departments to ensure a cohesive and on-brand digital voice that complies with public media journalism standards.This position is part of the newsroom leadership team of WLRN News.
- Oversee all WLRN digital assets, including website, social media, journalism newsletters, and other distribution platforms
- Lead the growing digital department, currently with three direct reports
- Act as the primary contact for all partner digital relationships, including NPR, PBS, The Miami Herald and Florida public media partners
- Articulate a comprehensive digital strategy and relevant tactics for a 21st Century public media news organization
- Work with non-news department personnel to ensure all digital offerings adhere to journalistic values
- Stay current on best practices in broadcast and online journalism and recommend ways to enhance WLRN’s offerings that comply with industry best practices, Code of Editorial Integrity for Public Media Organizations, WLRN Editorial Integrity Policy, and Philanthropic Support, Corporate Support & Editorial Independence: How They Fit Together at WLRN Public Media
- Effectively engage inclusive and diverse perspectives and experiences in work produced and in organizational interactions and demonstrate respect for others in all workplace relationships
- Aid and inspire reporters and producers to create multimedia stories, and edit copy for publication on WLRN.org
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- At least 5 years experience in multimedia journalism
- Desire to innovate, create and think big
- Strong editorial judgment
- Up-to-date on social media platforms and their specific content needs and uses
- Familiarity with digital media audience metric measures and assessment
- Familiarity with Adobe programs
- Handle on basic HTML
- Skilled writer and copy editor
- Ability to shoot and edit audio, photos, video, and create interactive graphics, and ability to teach those skills
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Adobe Illustrator
- Familiarity with public media sensibilities
- Experience in digital public media
- Data visualization chops
- Managerial experience
- Familiarity with or passion for the region
- Language: Spanish, Haitian Creole, Portuguese
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays; ability to travel; must be able to perform the essential duties of the position.
ABOUT WLRN PUBLIC MEDIA
WLRN is an award-winning public radio and television station. We are based in Miami and cover South Florida from the Palm Beaches to Key West. We are Florida’s largest public radio station. WLRN News is a daily broadcast news operation providing multimedia news for WLRN 91.3 FM 91.5 FM in the Florida Keys, and 101.9 in the Palm Beaches, and digital content for WLRN.org and social media.