- Deadline to Apply:Dec. 31, 2018
- Station: WLRN Public Media
- Company: South Florida Public Media/Friends of WLRN
- FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
- Reports to: Editorial Director
- Schedule: 9 a.m. -6 p.m. Monday-Friday, or as assigned
- Location: Miami and Doral, FL
(1) Fill out the job application form here. Then, submit (2) a cover letter, (3) a resume or CV, (4) five work samples (links preferred) and (5) at least three references who have worked closely with you and can talk about your qualifications for the position.
Email all the materials to email@example.com and include “Environment Reporter” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This reporter will be able to find, report and tell compelling stories about the environment and climate in South Florida, for web and audio broadcast. The reporter will be equally comfortable in the realms of scientific data and the stories of human beings, and be eager to tell those stories through people, policy, visuals, audio, text and other media. The reporter will understand and report across other areas intersecting with the South Florida environment, such as transportation, real estate, and the arts, and collaborate with other beat reporters in the newsroom.
- Pitches and generates original story ideas
- Produces daily and long-term stories for all distribution channels — broadcast and digital
- Produces stories on deadline
- Produces reporting from the field
- Contributes to WLRN News programs
- Continues to hone beat and build sources
- Participates in live and online events
- Participates in staff meetings
- Participates in professional development opportunities
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Three (3) years minimum professional experience in a newsroom
- Demonstrated experience understanding and distilling complex data
- Ability to produce multi-platform digital material out of data sets
- Ability to find human stories using data
- Exceptional verbal and written skills
- Ability to use news-gathering technologies, platforms, equipment and software
- Ability to mix and edit (multi-track) using digital audio editing program(s)
- A passion for journalism and storytelling
- An insatiable urge to report, publish and produce
- Understanding of and adherence to journalistic ethics
- Must be able to work independently, as well as collaboratively
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Expertise in environmental reporting, particularly in South Florida
- Ability to use digital recording equipment and any other field equipment
- Ability to voice stories and interviews with authority
- Ability to produce multiplatform digital stories
- Foreign language familiarity.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays; ability to travel; must be able to perform the essential duties of the position.