After people looking for food assistance waited in lines up to eight hours long, the state has announced extra days for sign up for the Disaster Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program, or D-SNAP.
The state has processed about 937,000 D-SNAP applications so far. In addition to replacement assistance for people who already get food stamps, Florida has provided nearly $1.2 billion in food assistance.
Because the registration days drew long lines and concerns about conditions standing in those lines, the Broward Sheriff's Office canceled the last day in the county - prompting the state to ask the federal government for extra days.
Those were approved, and Nov. 7-9 has been set for registration at the BB&T Center in Sunrise and the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens.
“It's far from here for residents,” said Matthew Damsky, a resident of Palm Beach County. He went to go sign up on the last day but was turned away before the posted end-time because of the long line.
The family lost a lot of food during Hurricane Irma. To make some of that up, he says he’s still going to try and make the trip south to sign up during one of the extra days.
“I will have to work around work, which makes it very difficult,” Damsky said.
There will be limits on the size and kind of bags that will be allowed into the buildings, including limits of less than 12 by 12 inches. Only clear bags will be allowed into the Hard Rock. This is in stark contrast to the previously used tented facilities around South Florida where people lugged chairs and coolers of food as they stood in line.
In Monroe County, people can sign up on Thursday, Nov. 2, at the Florida Keys Country Club in Marathon.