WLRN Diversity Statement
Ethnic, National, and Cultural Diversity Statement
WLRN Public Media (WLRN) believes our work and workplace are made better through the earnest prioritization of the organizational values of diversity, equity, and inclusion. The great diversity of the peoples of South Florida, their beliefs, their cultures, and their lifestyles can either enrich the community or be a source of disagreement and conflict. WLRN is committed to engaging authentically with our audience through our programming and other initiatives in a way that reflects an enduring commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and access.
By including and integrating individuals who represent different groups as defined by race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, age, disability, national origin, and religion, WLRN is strongly committed to the pursuit of excellence in its public service mission. Our commitment capitalizes on the benefits of diversity in public media and public service.
WLRN also recognizes the importance of diversity in leadership and governance and is committed to recruiting diverse members to join us in our diversity efforts. Our board also includes members who reside in various communities of our listening area. As such, different communities in our geographic area are represented on our Board of Directors. In late 2022, WLRN hired an HR Manager to strengthen our efforts in recruiting and retaining an inclusive workforce that reflects the diversity of the local community.
WLRN continues to increase our diversity with voices from the community and on-the-air programming. Over the past two years the radio station has invited more and more diverse guests into its studios to discuss important local issues and hosting programs such as Sundial which touches on the region's ethnic communities, biodiversity, socio-economic challenges creating a wide platform to elevate all voices within the South Florida community.
Our work is guided by the following principles:
- WLRN is committed to reflecting and celebrating the diversity of the communities we serve in all areas of station operation. WLRN will acquire, produce, broadcast, and distribute programming that will encourage South Floridians to seek an understanding and appreciation of other cultures.
- WLRN is committed to diversity and equal employment opportunity in every aspect of our personnel policy and practices including recruitment, selection, placement, training and advancement of employees.
- WLRN is committed to making every effort to recruit a diverse workforce and explicitly forbid discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability and marital status, military status, citizenship or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable local, state, and federal law.
- WLRN is committed to creating a climate with an ethos of respect, understanding and appreciation of individual and group differences. We encourage the pursuit of social justice within and outside the organization, recognizing that the resources needed to achieve equity vary by person, group, and circumstance.
- WLRN is committed to educate our management and staff annually in best practices for maintaining an inclusive, equitable and diverse environment for all persons.
- WLRN is committed in developing a more diverse future workforce with professional skills in the broadcasting/media industry by recruiting diverse candidates for any internship and work-study student opportunities that may be made available.
- WLRN is committed to cultivating a culture that values and incorporates the diverse perspectives of team members, and actively pursues engagement and input from team members of all levels.
Our diversity and inclusion objectives, and progress towards achieving them, will be assessed annually to ensure they align with our service and talent objectives. We seek to promote a vibrant and ever-expanding culture of acceptance, tolerance, and respect for all members of the organization and the community we serve.