Part-Time Producer, News And Public Affairs
Company: South Florida Public Media
FLSA Status: Part-Time, 24 hours per week
Schedule: Wednesday through Friday
Deadline to apply: June 11, 2021
(1) Fill out the job application here. Then, submit (2) a cover letter, (3) a resume or CV, and (4) at least three professional references who have worked closely with you and can speak of your qualifications for the position.
Email all the materials to email@example.com and include “ Producer - TFR” in the subject line.
This position is the Miami-based producer for The Florida Roundup, a program co-produced by WLRN Public Media and WJCT Public Media in Jacksonville, as well as the South Florida Roundup on WLRN. Both radio programs are weekly public affairs programs.
This position will be part of leading the direction of both programs, assist hosts and work closely with the WJCT-based producer for the statewide program, and with the WLRN newsroom for the local program. The producer will pitch topics and guest ideas, book guests, and produce, report and edit radio and digital components of the shows. This position also directs the live control room during broadcasts.
The part-time Producer for News and Public Affairs works under the general supervision of the Vice President of News.
The WLRN Newsroom is a collaborative, often flexible environment made up of people dedicated to practicing local and regional journalism with journalistic rigor, creativity and empathy. We come from a range of life experiences, have different expertise, talents and passions, and learn from each other everyday.
Position Responsibilities and Duties
1. Produces news and public affairs programs, including on air and digital components, booking guests, booking studios, writing, reporting, digital audio and video editing, coordinating production and social media engagement.
2. Prepares digital editorial assets, including graphics/quotes for social media and web posts for each program after broadcast.
3. Prepares program excerpt for radio broadcast after each show.
4. Works with WLRN news partners.
5. Helps organize, attends and participates in public events and community outreach as a representative of WLRN and the program.
6. Participates in staff meetings and professional development opportunities.
7. Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
2. Three years minimum experience in a broadcast media newsroom environment, including live broadcast program producing.
3. Strong critical judgment skills and the ability to make decisions regarding credibility and value of content on deadline.
4. Knowledge of Florida news, issues and culture
5. Strong research and communication skills.
6. Ability to produce weekly stories and social media engagement for digital audiences.
7. Ability to write clear, compelling, lively scripts and posts on deadline.
8. Ability to operate digital recording and editing technology, equipment and software, such as Audition, ProTools, Hindenburg; ability to use CMS and social media platforms.
9. Demonstrates an understanding of and adherence to journalistic ethics.
10. Proven ability to work collaboratively with little supervision.
11. Ability and willingness to train/mentor/coach staff, freelancers and interns across platforms.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays; ability to travel; must be able to perform the essential duties of the position.
About WLRN Public Media
WLRN is an award-winning public radio and television station. We are based in Miami and cover South Florida from the Palm Beaches to Key West, and we are Florida’s largest public radio station. WLRN News is a daily broadcast radio and multimedia news operation broadcasting on WLRN 91.3 FM, 91.5 FM in the Florida Keys and 101.9 FM in the Palm Beaches, and on WLRN.org and social media.