MANAGING EDITOR - WATCH ON AMERICA, WLRN PUBLIC MEDIA - MIAMI
WLRN Public Media is searching for a Managing Editor for its latest initiative – WATCH ON AMERICA – A multi-platform direct news source that combines the credibility and proven track record of WLRN Public Media with world-class unfiltered journalism from news content distributors.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Set the vision and strategy for developing and implementing a news service that delivers a front row seat to events of national and local importance delivered in real time and without commentary or analysis.
Curate and amplify journalism from a variety of sources for watchonamerica.org, wlrn.org, WLRN -TV and WLRN – FM that best serves the South Florida community.
Plan, organize and execute an agenda of daily news coverage.
Develop and lead collaborations with other news organizations on projects and partnerships.
Ensure WATCH ON AMERICA news coverage is diverse, inclusive, and equitable.
Be a key participant in supporting station initiatives, marketing, promotions, and fundraising activities.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least five years of progressive responsibility in news management and/or leadership.
- Ability and willingness to work evenings, weekends, and long shifts, as required during peak news cycles or breaking news events.
- Ability to think strategically, set goals and use metrics to track progress towards meeting those goals.
- Ability to lead journalism on multiple platforms utilizing audio, video, digital/social media.
- Extensive experience working with news providers such as Associated Press, C-Span, etc.
- Possess exceptional organizational skills, with the ability to multitask and to establish effective timelines for accomplishing short and long-range goals.
- Possess exceptional communications skills, both verbal and written.
- Have a thorough knowledge and understanding of FCC regulations.
- On-air experience a plus.
WLRN is an award-winning public radio and televisions station based in Miami, Florida. Serving a diverse audience from the Palm Beaches to Key West. WLRN’s mission is to provide information, entertainment, and learning services with a commitment to excellence in serving local, national, and international communities. This position reports to South Florida Public Media and is an equal opportunity employer.
Cover letter stating qualifications and a resume must be submitted to be considered for this position.
To apply, please send your application via email with the subject “Managing Editor for Watch On America” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted.