Company: South Florida Public Media
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Reports to: Vice President of News
Schedule: Monday - Friday, or as assigned
Location: Miami, Florida
Deadline to apply: Oct. 7, 2021
(1) fill out job application here. Then, submit (2) a cover letter, (3) a resume or CV, (4) at least three samples (links or mp3s) and (5) at least three professional references who have worked closely with you and can speak of your qualifications for the position.
Email all the materials to email@example.com and include “Sundial Producer” in the subject line.
The Producer oversees all facets in the production of Sundial, WLRN’s weekday public affairs show, including collaborating with the host, researching and prepping segments, writing copy, producing and editing elements including radio and digital packages, social media, voice-overs and sound bites, content generation, source development, pre-interviewing and booking guests and shaping the tone of the show. The Producer for Sundial reports to the Vice President of News.
Position Responsibilities and Duties
1. Produces Sundial Monday through Thursday, including on-air and digital components, generating segment ideas, booking guests, coordinating production and social media engagement.
2. Works with WLRN news partners
3. Helps organize, attends and participates in public events and community outreach as a representative of the newsroom.
4. Participates in staff meetings and professional development opportunities.
5. Possible personnel supervision
6. Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Experience
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
2. Four (4) years minimum experience in a broadcast media newsroom environment.
3. Strong critical judgment skills and the ability to make decisions regarding credibility and value of content on deadline.
4. Knowledge of South Florida news, issues and culture with strong research and communication skills.
5. Familiarity with audience engagement, social media, and public media news and values.
6. Ability to operate digital news gathering equipment, software, practices and standards, including digital editing technologies and platforms.
7. Proven ability to work collaboratively with little supervision.
8. Efficiency with audio editing software such as Audition, Pro Tools or similar
9. Ability and willingness to train/mentor/coach staff, freelancers and interns across platforms.
Preferred Skills and Experience
Familiarity with public media sensibilities
Experience in digital public media
Familiarity with or passion for the region
Language: Spanish, Haitian Creole, Portuguese
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays; ability to travel; must be able to perform the essential duties of the position.
About WLRN Public Media
WLRN is an award-winning public radio and television station and winner of the national Edward R. Murrow award for Overall Excellence in Large Market Radio for 2021. We are based in Miami and cover South Florida from the Palm Beaches to Key West. We are Florida’s largest public radio station. WLRN News is a daily broadcast news operation providing multimedia news for WLRN 91.3 FM 91.5 FM in the Florida Keys, and 105.5 WOLL HD-2 in the Palm Beaches, and digital content for WLRN.org and social media.