This position is the education reporter for WLRN Public Media, based in Miami, FL.
Deadline to Apply: Oct. 29, 2021
Station: WLRN Public Media
Company: South Florida Public Media/Friends of WLRN
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Senior Editor for News
Schedule: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. Monday-Friday, or as assigned
Location: Miami, FL
(1) Fill out the job application form here.
(2) Submit a cover letter
(3) Submit a resume or CV
(4) Submit five work samples (links or mp3s)
(5) Share at least three references who have worked closely with you and can talk about your qualifications for the position.
Email all the materials to email@example.com and include “Education Reporter” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until Oct. 29, 2021.
This reporter will cover public education with a focus primarily on K-12 public school districts in South Florida, including Broward, Miami-Dade, Palm Beach and Monroe counties, with additional coverage of higher education institutions, for-profit education and private education. Coverage includes spot news, feature and enterprise stories and digital reporting for WLRN daily newscasts, digital platforms, and news-related and public affairs programming.
- Pitches and formulates original story ideas
- Builds on existing enterprise stories
- Produces interviews with newsmakers
- Produces stories on deadline
- Reports live from the field
- Produces content from the field
- Contributes to WLRN public affairs programs
- Continues to hone beat and build sources
- Works closely with editors to develop original stories for digital and broadcast
- Supplies images and video for digital posts and social media
- Produces news-related content for social media
- Participates in live and online events, and special appearances
- Participates in staff meetings
- Participates in professional development opportunities
- Other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Three (3) years minimum professional experience in a newsroom
- Previous education coverage preferred
- Exceptional verbal and written skills
- Ability to report and write for broadcast and digital
- Ability to use news-gathering technologies, platforms, equipment and software
- Ability to use digital recording equipment
- Ability to mix and edit using digital audio editing program(s)
- Ability to voice stories and interviews
- Ability to produce content for digital platforms including online and social media
- Understanding of and adherence to journalistic ethics
- Must be able to work independently, as well as collaboratively
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays; ability to travel; must be able to perform the essential duties of the position.
ABOUT WLRN PUBLIC MEDIA
WLRN is an award-winning public radio and television station and winner of the national Edward R. Murrow award for Overall Excellence in Large Market Radio for 2021.
We are based in Miami and cover South Florida from the Palm Beaches to Key West. We are Florida’s largest public radio station. WLRN News is a daily broadcast news operation providing multimedia news for WLRN 91.3 FM, 91.5 FM in the Florida Keys, 101.9 in the Palm Beaches, 105.5 WOLL HD-2 in Hobe Sound, and digital content for WLRN.org and social media accounts.