Text-Only Version Go To Full Site

WLRN

Miami-Dade County Schools shrunk by about 19,000 students at start of school year, data shows

By Natalie La Roche Pietri

August 21, 2026 at 3:02 PM EDT

First-day enrollment is down by nearly 19,000 students in Miami-Dade County public schools as the new year kicks off, despite the outgoing superintendent saying he didn’t expect a sharp enrollment decrease this academic year.

According to district data shared with WLRN, the number of registered K-12 students on the first day of school — Thursday, Aug. 13 — was 300,509.

Last spring, the district had 319,419 students, according to the Florida Department of Education.

The latest enrollment numbers in Miami-Dade County Public Schools show that there are 18,910 fewer students now compared to the end of the 2025-26 school year.

Miami-Dade County Public Schools Superintendent Jose Dotres, speaking to reporters last week at a news conference on the first day of school, described last year's dramatic enrollment decline of more than 12,000 students as a “one-time event” and said he didn’t anticipate another big drop.

The school district, the largest in Florida and third largest nationally, is seeing about 31,000 fewer students over the past two years.

In its July calculations, the district predicted it would lose only 8,000 students this year because of an increase in families using vouchers.

School district officials told WLRN that first-day attendance data “represents a point-in-time snapshot and not a final enrollment determination.”

READ MORE: New chief of schools for Miami-Dade County starts next month


They said a more detailed look at enrollment will be conducted in October, one of three state surveys that get conducted in every Florida school district each school year.

It’s an important difference because the October survey — not the first day count — is what the state uses to allocate funds for school districts.

Broward County faces the same enrollment pains, seeing 11,000 fewer students in classrooms districtwide.

MDCPS also tracks the number of students present, absent and those who simply don’t attend daily. The amount of students present increased by nearly 17,000 in three school days. However, registrations, what the state uses to calculate funding, were up by less than 300.

Unprecedented problems

Changes to federal immigration policies and a crackdown on undocumented immigrants under President Donald Trump have led to deportations or immigrants leaving the country on their own, contributing to lower student enrollment numbers in South Florida, including Miami-Dade.

In previous years, the district could rely on registering from 14,000 to 22,000 foreign-born students in a single school year. Last year, it registered just 3,000.

Last week, Dotres compared the scope of the problem — and its singularity — to the enrollment changes that resulted from one of Florida’s worst natural disasters.

"We've declined in enrollment, but this was almost like the perfect storm or Hurricane Andrew. We had never experienced a 12,000-student loss in just one year," Dotres said.

Fewer students means fewer state funding, impacting academic programing, how many schools the district can soundly operate and staff salaries.

The School Board is expected to adopt a budget next month. The first budget presentation outlined $7.36 billion, a reduction of 3.6% in operating expenses from to last year.

“Accordingly, any discussion regarding long-term budget implications based solely on attendance data from the opening days of school would be premature,” the district statement said. “A more complete and reliable enrollment picture will emerge” after state surveys are done.

If the student count remains this low, it’ll translate into millions of dollars less for the district budget.

As of now, the district is “on track” to meet its projections, a spokesperson said.

Incoming Miami-Dade County superintendent Rafael Villalobos will start his tenure early next month and oversee the budget.


‘All students’ are affected

A national education expert on immigrant students said enrollment nationally will continue to plummet under the Trump administration’s aggressive deportation agenda and changes to immigration policies like Temporary Protected Status, resulting in less money for public schools.

“New students bring new funding to schools. That means that schools get more resources that benefit not just those students — the newcomer students — but all students,” said Alejandra Vázquez Baur, of EdTrust, a national nonprofit working to close opportunity and achievement gaps in education. She also co-founded the National Newcomer Network.

“Less money means fewer calculators and books, less after-school programming and partnerships with local organizations to provide really cool field trips and things like that,” she said.