PolitiFact FL: Soccer star Lionel Messi has shined in Miami; other players’ moms aren’t complaining
WLRN has partnered with PolitiFact to fact-check Florida politicians. The Pulitzer Prize-winning team seeks to present the true facts, unaffected by agenda or biases.
Argentine soccer star Lionel Messi recently moved stateside, joining Major League Soccer’s Inter Miami CF team in Florida.
But some social media users who are earnestly reading posts about the mothers of other professional players complaining that Messi’s too good to play against their sons are missing the joke.
"MLS players' mothers file complaint against Leo Messi!" one Facebook post said. "Jack McGlynn's mother (Philadelphia player): ‘It's not fair, since Messi joined Inter Miami. Everyone can't stop him, and he's so much better than our kids that they start to feel bad about themselves.’"
This post was flagged as part of Meta’s efforts to combat false news and misinformation on its News Feed. (Read more about PolitiFact's partnership with Meta, which owns Facebook and Instagram.)
This story originated on The Onion, a satire site.
"MLS parents complain Leo Messi too advanced for son’s league," read its Aug. 18 headline.
During a recent news conference, a reporter "asked about the ease with which Messi and Inter Miami have defeated their M.L.S. and Liga MX opponents in the tournament," The New York Times said, referring to a Mexican soccer division, "hinting at the inferior level of competition he now faces compared with Europe."
But rumors about other players’ mothers filing a complaint about Messi aren’t true.
We rate claims that this story is authentic False.
- Facebook post, Aug. 27, 2023
- CBS Sports, What Leo Messi, Inter Miami need to make MLS playoffs: Picks, plus why international break could prove costly, Aug. 30, 2023
- The New York Times, At Inter Miami, Lionel Messi’s Only Complaint Is the Humidity, Aug. 17, 2023
- The Onion, MLS Parents Complain Leo Messi Too Advanced For Sons’ League, Aug. 18, 2023
- Leagues Cup, Inter Miami CF win Leagues Cup 2023 after dramatic penalty shoot-out, Aug. 19, 2023