Due to Florida’s school closures to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, Miami-Dade County Public Schools and WLRN Public Media are working together to support at-home learning for students by delivering a weekday television schedule of educational programs. These programs are aligned to state standards, and are free and accessible from home.
Programming includes specific blocks of time for pre-K through 12th grade levels and cover subjects, including English language arts, social studies, science and math.
Program modifications take place weekdays from 8am to 6pm throughout the duration of school closures and address a wide variety of content areas. Educators and parents will have access to supplemental lesson plans and curriculum materials to facilitate meaningful use of the content via PBS Learning Media.
“We cannot allow these unfortunate circumstances to set our children back,” said Superintendent of Schools Alberto M. Carvalho. “This new WLRN-TV programming schedule provides students with yet another educational resource while they are away from school and aligns with the measures the district has already taken to ensure our brilliant students continue to succeed.”
WLRN Public Television (WLRN-TV) is a PBS (Public Broadcasting Service) member station licensed to the School Board of Miami-Dade County, Florida. WLRN - TV reaches a viewing audience in four South Florida counties, from Palm Beach to Key West.
“WLRN Public Television has delivered award-winning educational PBS programming for our youngest viewers for decades and now, during these challenging times, we can play a critical role in providing trusted, aligned educational resources for students, parents, teachers and caregivers”, said John Labonia, WLRN General Manager. “This unique and special educational programming and online resources using PBS Learning Media are extraordinary tools that are easy to access from home and they’re made available as a free service from Florida’s public media.”
WLRN-TV has launched the At-Home Learning schedule with the following age-appropriate programming blocks:
- Pre-K - 3rd grade from 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
- 4 th – 8 th grades from 2:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- 9 th - 12 th grades from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
To see the full schedule of programs please click below
Here are more ways to keep students engaged at home
- PBS KIDS for Parents offers free resources and information from articles like How to talk with your kids about coronavirus to family learning activities. All PBS KIDS for Parents content is created by expert educators and child development professionals and vetted by PBS.
- Sign up for the PBS KIDS for Parents daily newsletter for tips, tools and support while children are home from school.
- Parents can also sign up for PBS LearningMedia to design at home learning across grade levels.
Working together, we can navigate these challenging times through keeping young minds in our communities engaged and curious.