© 2024 WLRN
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Miami Beach Rejects Clevelander Settlement, Will Appeal Order Blocking 2 A.M. Booze Ban

South Beach visitors walk down Ocean Drive near the Clevelander in Miami Beach during the start of Memorial Day Weekend on Friday, May 28, 2021.
MATIAS J. OCNER MOCNER@MIAMIHERALD.COM
/
The Miami Herald
South Beach visitors walk down Ocean Drive near the Clevelander in Miami Beach during the start of Memorial Day Weekend on Friday, May 28, 2021.

The city of Miami Beach will appeal a judge’s order suspending a new law banning the sale and consumption of alcohol after 2 a.m. in the South Beach entertainment district, Acting City Attorney Rafael Paz said.

In a statement Tuesday night, Paz also said the city would reject a settlement offer from the Clevelander hotel, which sued the city last month over the booze ban. The proposed settlement sought to shield some Ocean Drive businesses, like the Clevelander, from the 2 a.m. cutoff while allowing the city to enforce the law in the rest of the district.

“The City is rejecting the Clevelander’s settlement proposal and intends to immediately appeal the Court’s order, once it is entered,” Paz wrote in a statement.

Read more from our news partner at The Miami Herald.

More On This Topic