© 2020 WLRN
MIAMI | SOUTH FLORIDA
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
News

Mail Bomb Suspect Sayoc Makes First Federal Court Appearance In Miami

cesar_sayoc_4.jpg
Cesar Sayoc, who made his first federal court appearance on Monday in Miami to face charges of directing a mail-bomb campaign against critics of President Trump, had been arrested several times over the years, generating a gallery of mugshots.

Cesar Sayoc, a strident supporter of President Donald Trump charged with directing a mail-bomb campaign in South Florida against prominent Democrats, will be locked up in federal custody in Miami for at least a few more days.

The 56-year-old Aventura man, arrested Friday on charges of sending more than a dozen pipe bombs in manila envelopes to political targets across the country, made his first federal court appearance on Monday before an expected move to New York, where his case will be formally prosecuted.

But Sayoc’s defense attorneys were granted more time to prepare their request for a bond, and Magistrate Judge Edwin Torres agreed to set a detention hearing for Friday. New York federal prosecutor Jane Kim said the government would oppose any bond for Sayoc, calling him a danger to the community and a flight risk.

The defendant, wearing a khaki prison jumpsuit, shackled and surrounded by U.S. marshals, said nothing about his case during the brief hearing but seemed to be fighting back tears. Wearing short-cropped hair with a ponytail, he did identify himself to the judge as Cesar Sayoc.

Read more at our news partner, the Miami Herald