WLRN Wins 11 Regional Murrow Awards
WLRN News has won 11 Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards, including excellence in sound, sports reporting, breaking and hard news for 2018. It is the most of any news outlet in this year's competition.
The Murrow awards were created in 1971. The awards are named in honor of Edward R. Murrow, a pioneer who set the standard for the highest quality of broadcast journalism.
RTDNA's awards adhere to the RTDNA Code of Ethics.
WLRN News was recognized as winners for Region 13 (Florida, Georgia, Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands) in the following categories:
1. Large Market Station - Overall Excellence (listen to a montage here.)
2. Large Market Station - Multimedia.
3. Large Market Station- Newscast, The Marjory Stoneman Douglas School Shooting.
4. Large Market Station- Breaking News Coverage, The Marjory Stoneman Douglas School Shooting.
5. Large Market Station - Hard News, A Parkland Shooting Survivor and Her Mom Talk Surviving and Healing, by Nadege Green.
6. Large Market Station - Continuing Coverage, Stoneman Douglas Shooting.
7. Large Market Station - News Series, Escape From Venezuela, by Tim Padgett.
8. Large Market Station Feature Reporting - How Songwriting Helped Two Parkland Students Find — and Share — "Hope for the Future," by Jessica Bakeman.
9. Large Market Station - Sports Reporting, Why Pickleball Is Taking Over a Broward Hockey Rink Near You, by Caitie Switalski.
10. Large Market Station - Excellence in Sound, Amendment 9 in Two Acts: We Unbundle Arguments Around the Drilling and Vaping Ban, by Sammy Mack.
11. Large market station - News Documentary, Audio Diary: Marjory Stoneman Douglas Senior Leonor Muñoz Documents life After the Shooting, by Sammy Mack.
All regional winners move on to the national round in each category. RTDNA will announce those winners in June.